Wednesday, February 23, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!

So i'm with my mom the other day helping her cook for the minister's dinner after the Anniversary service Friday night. I'm breading the chicken and the WHOLE time my mom is like sitting there, telling me EACTLEY HOW to do it!!! "Make sure you completely cover it with egg. Press down REALLY hard in the breadcrumbs! REALLY MAKE SURE that the chicken is COMEPLETLEY covered!!!" AND i'm sitting there thinkin in my head, Okaaaaaaaaay mom, I'm 27 years old AND a pretty decent cook myself...I think I KNOW HOW to bread chicken!!! BUT before I even have time to say something I remember an incident that happened one time with my mom and her dad...

My Grandpa was getting older and sicker with Parkins disease, this made it harder and harder for him to do all his household chores done. One day my mom and I were over at his house helping him get things done. My mom said that she would do his laundry for him so he said ok...THEN he proceeded to her EXACLTEY how to do the laundry... you know like, where to put the soap, how much water...etc... AND this was not like a SPECIAL load of delicate clothes, just your average, EVERYDAY load of clothes!!! I remember thinkin in my mind back then like, OKAAAAAAAAAAY Grandpa, I think my mom KNOWS HOW to do laundry!!! She raised 5 kids and used to hang laundry on the line with babies hanging off of her!!! HOWEVER, I remember that my mom NEVER caught an attitude with him!!! She didn't say, OH I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!! She didn't fight, she didn't argue, She just listened and said, Ok dad, ok...and she was soooo sweet about it!!!

That has ALWAYS stood out to me...ESPECIALLY cuz well you JUST gotta know my mom...she is a VERY TAKE CHARGE kind of person with a mind of her own. She has a master's degree in education and BELIEVE ME...she is GOOOOOD at it!!! But here she was, she knew to submit herself to her father. Sooo now when ever my mom is bossing me over things that I think I already know, I ALWAYS remember how she was toward her father in this matter and I just keep my mouth SHUT!!! I mean, I'm not really a very take-charge (BOSSY;) kind of person, so if my mom could do it THEN I know I can too. Its easier to respect and submit to someone, when you see that they are submitting to their elders. I guess you gotta learn to RESPECT if YOU wanna be RESPECTED!!!

Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father...
 The elder women as mothers...
(1Timothy 5:1-2)