Monday, September 20, 2010

Being a friend...

Since the beginning of this school year, my niece has been talking about her bestest friend at school. A little girl that i'll just call Rose. She would tell us about how Rose is just so sweet and just sooooo cute and that she was her favorite person to play with and well Mary Jo is just ALWAYS talking about her friend Rose.

So last week MJ had a doctor's apointment and later on my sister had to bring her in to her classroom. Well when we are talkin later on in that day my sister tells me that she met Mary Jo's friend and that while she was in the room Mary Jo's teacher was like, "This is Mary Jo's special friend Rose!." So Mary Jo like pipes in now and is just like, "isn't she just sooo CUTE mom!?" SO my sister is just like, "Yeah..." and just kinda looks at me like, uh she's not really... So I'm like talkin to my sis about it and she is not trying to be mean, but she is telling me  MJ's friend Rose is not what we would consider "Cute". She is just kinda frumpy and homely looking and it is VERY aparent that she has A LOT of special needs! And my sis is like, but I'm glad that Mary Jo is her friend.

Well then MJ came back in the room so we kept talking to her about Rose and all her school friends and Mary Jo is just telling us about how she is friends with everyone in her class and stuff and so we are like so does Rose have a lot of friends too? And MJ is just like, "No, She just has me!" So we are like, you mean she isn't friends with the other kids in her class? and Mary Jo is like, "No. None of them like her and nobody wanted to play with her, but I didn't want her to be all alone so I am her friend. Then she just starts talking again about how cute Rose is and how she just loves her so much...

Me and my sis were just like WOW!!! We were both feeling SOOOO proud of her! I mean as a little girl she already grasped such an important concept in life that many of us adults just havn't quite figured out yet! Even though she is my neice, just a little girl and I take care of her all the time, there is just a little part of me that really looks up to her for that. I admire her for being that little girl's friend. Thats the kind of person I hope and strive to be...

A friend to the friendless!