Wednesday, February 24, 2010

When the post moves...

My sister and I decided one day when we were in Maui to go out swimming pretty far in the ocean. As we were swimming out I pointed to a post that was quite a ways in front of us. "See that post," I said to my sister, "thats marking how far the beach allows swimmers to go, because after that it's dangerous." So we swam out a ways, but when we got pretty close to the post we stopped and decided not to go any further. We just played around for a while in the water, jumpin in the waves. After a while I looked over at the post that was supposed to be in front of us, but I didn't see it. I thought thats WEIRD!!! All of the sudden I saw the post and it was WAAAAAAAAY behind us! I thought thats cRaZy! They need to make those posts more secured into the bottom of the ocean if they want people to stay safe. I was showing my sister and she was like, "Uh, the post hasn't moved! It's us, we've been drifting out further and further." I couldn't believe it, I mean we had been moving the whole time and didn't even realize it.
.
In life it's the same way. We're ALWAYS moving, and the questions is: Are you moving further or closer to God, our post of safety? Sometimes it seems like God has moved. It's like things have changed since we first lived for God. Our pastor is too strict and requires to much of us. Living for God becomes a drudgery. But Robin Jone's Gunn says this in her book Surprise Endings, "If you feel far from God, guess who moved?" I can guarantee you it wasn't God that did the moving. Hebrews 13:8 says that Jesus Christ [is] the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. People change, but God is still right there where you first found him.
.
Just like like the current in the ocean pulled me and my sister further out into the ocean without us even realizing it, sometimes the cares of life pull us away from God. We don't even realize it, but the next thing we know, it seems like God is so far from us. Just like we had to turn around in the ocean and swim back to the post, repentance is the way  back to God.


Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard...
lest at any time we should let them slip.
Hebrews 2:1